Sunday, July 14, 2013

Short, dark tea times of the soul

by Colleen

I'm frequently up between the hours of 1 and 2 am. I don't mean to be; it just happens. One of the things that sucks about San Francisco is living in the butt of the continental US time zones. Being up at 1 am Central used to mean random gchats with friends in the east coast and west coast as we wound up our evenings and got ready for bed. 1 am Pacific is pretty much a dead zone: 4 am is about as somnolent as the city that never sleeps gets; at 3 am, Chicago and Indy are well past their REM stage; over here my friends are morning people; even in Asia most people are finishing up work or eating dinner - at least the ones in the time zones that matter are.

What's a night owl to do?

Tonight, or rather early this morning, I got this idea - for the same reasons above, my twitter feed basically dies after 1 am too - I'm now searching to see who people consider to be the "best" twitter accounts of the UK*, France, Germany, Spain...the EU, basically. Midnight in the Bay Area means the kickoff of a brand new day in Europe, so hopefully they'll end up acting as something of a "3rd shift" for news and links.

Stuff that's come up -
  • @stealthmountain, probably not going to follow it, but conceptually it's pretty hilare, especially the tweets the account has favorited (favourited?)
  • @pundamentalism may be the UK version of @bazecraze
  • A surprising amount of Top UK Twitter Account lists suggest following @common_squirrel. Well, maybe I shouldn't be that surprised #british #subtlety. In the same vein, HuffPo makes up a surprising amount of these 'Top Twitter' articles. Is that all they report on these days?
Anyway, here's hoping twitter will generate me something of interest during this time-zone induced quiet time. Although, nothing too engrossing - I do have work in the morning.





*OK this post contradicts almost everything I stated in the last post. eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment