Wednesday, November 3, 2010

It's about the fall of the sparrow...

by Colleen

One of my absolute favorite writers is Madeleine L'Engle. She combined science and religion in all her books in a way that made them seamless rather than contrary. And partly because of that, I was inspired enough to pursue a chemistry degree, so I could learn more about God. Well, anyway, when I hear about and read* articles like this and this I have to smile and mentally raise a glass to L'Engle, who wrote about that stuff ages ago really. I do believe she succeeded at uniting her avocation and vocation, as my two eyes make one in sight...as they say. I'm also reminded of what a disservice Laurel Leaf publishers did to The Arm of the Starfish** by marketing it as a summer beach read.

*Oh who are we kidding, I skimmed them. I'm at work and have to leave in about 15 minutes and if I don't post this now, I never will.

**A host of other incredible young adult novels had the same problem. I guess pre-pubescent titillation sells :/

No comments:

Post a Comment