Monday, September 21, 2009

Day One, Part One, in San Francisco

By Hubert

I was in San Francisco from 9/15 to 9/20 and thought I'd share it will all three of my readers. So let's go.

Worked at half day at work on the 15th, took an afternoon flight to SFO, and arrived at the hotel at 11:30 PM PST. I stayed at the Oakland Airport Hilton despite landing in San Francisco International Airport because I was in town for a wedding and my friend got the group rate at this hotel. It was only 15 minutes away from the wedding place. The Hilton was slightly less than an hour and half away from the SF airport, but when the hotel room is less than $65 a night, I don't complain.

So this takes us to the 16th, and the first thing I did was ride a cable car. You can see what a cable car is below!



Nifty, huh? Somehow this thing goes up and down the hills of San Francisco, pulled by a cable built into the road.

For the first half of the trip, I hung onto a pole in the front part of the cable car, sat down for the latter half. This cable car route takes people to the western end of Fisherman's Wharf.

I walked west and stumbled upon San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park, with a beautiful view of the ocean.



Onward, to the end of the park's pier:



Fort Mason was just next door. It was a former military base, now turned into a community center. I could "sort of" see the Golden Gate Bridge from it.



Before taking the bus to the Golden Gate Bridge, I walked by a lovely grassy area. Scarfy Blue made some observations.



Next entry: Golden Gate Bridge

3 comments:

  1. Despite your disclaimer, first post of the blog includes penguins and stuff that the penguin appears to enjoy, or perhaps, like. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. North Pier video:
    Elapsed time between pan in on guy in a boat with fishing pole and realization that he's fishing - 4.5 seconds. hehehe

    ReplyDelete